viernes, 10 de febrero de 2017

[ALBUM REVIEW] 志方あきこー CaTra

What's up guys! This is Kami from Chile and today I want to review the masterpiece "caTra" by my most beloved artist Shikata Akiko-sama. 

I think this is my first time reviwing something in English, so I'll try to not mess up the review with poor language. 

CaTra is a conceptual EP released on March 06, 2016, and it was the last official release on the year, so now I'm starting to worry coz She's releasing not a thing after that. What in the hell are you doin', Shikata!? I really want to write about the concept itself of the EP, but since I don't own a copy, I have to write just about my thoughts on "CaTra".

 The EP contains 5 songs in a fictional language developed by herself I think, which I can not recognise by hearing, but you can find trascripted lyrics on Lyrics Wikia (They can be not that accurate, but it helps if you like to sing). The first on the set, ヒト型式PF試奏例α (translated: HUMAN Model PF Test Run Example alpha) is, at least, the weirdest song by Shikata ever made. The song is a vocal Solfeo in F key, with a little twist in the middle. At first, its introdution movement have this magnificent couterpoint melodies with the classic Akiko's trademark Overdub forming a sweet melody, worth of basic music lesson. It became really hard to skip the track when it came to the middle. I mean, the change of key, faster beat and the incredible performance take you to another level of "Akikoness" and her potential as a composer as well as a performer. It have this really fast notes when the Key changes to Minor that remind me METHOD_REPLEKIA from Videogame "Ar Tonelico II" so much. The song ends with an epic resolution of the mode by a "Picardy third", to make entrance to the next track, "Ellsya", an upbeat, drum&bass-kind-of song, with an very prolix and eccentric arrange. This song takes you really into the concept of the album. The melody's structure and how the chorus repeat words make me feel, in a way, very proud of what Akiko has been doing the past 5 years. Its like a mix of many songs that were destroyed and then put in a caldron and, there you have it. I love it! The next one on the tracklist is "螺旋の涙" (translated: Helix Tears) which was originally released on the "Petit Fours" Orgel Album in 2002. The original arrange (Orgel) contrast so much from the new in CaTra: It start with a very ceremonial chorus arrange, in a fortissimo way to play, and then goes for a very medieval arrange, and then the typical Epic trademark arrange by her. It had so many changes of key on the way. By the middle, I find quite awesome the Akiko's voice attack in the chorus section. Yes, I know, nowadays artist always tune their voice with some kind of pitcher, but in Akiko's defense, I have to say that because her vocal performance is so professional, pitcher make a good FX on voice sample, so the result, in the end, is quite good. "キオカイト" (KIOKAITO), the next masterpiece, I have to admit that the arrange, the atmosphere of the song reminds way too much the work on "Ar Tonelico": Chorus, twist on the arrange, electronic effect on the voices, and the goes epic with a mix of Etnic music all the way, KIOKAITO is more like a synthesis of the album, I think. For the next and last song on the EP, my inner GUST's videogames fan scream out loud and goes nuts for this one. "試想/想起/起動" (Translated: Imagination / Recollection / Activation) is the only one composed by another person, and the lucky one is Ken Nakagawa (the head of composing music for Atelier saga and Ar Tonelico saga Videogames by GUST). Since it starts, you can "Smell" Nakagawa's style everywhere on the song: the arrange, the way he use samples, the sound, the result mix, I love everything in this masterpiece and makes me think... "Why Shikata has been crafting music for so many years?" and this song gives me the answer. She loves music, she loves those whom compose music and she loves the improvement in herself too. I'm witness of the work of Shikata since 2007/2008 and I have to say "CaTra" is the most elaborated album till now and I can't wait for the next album on the way. 

You see, I don't find myself writting in English but I've tried really hard this time so, I hope you enjoy reading this in any way. Thank you so much for visiting and if you want to leave a commet, please, don't be shy =)

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario